Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Heart Defect Research Quilt

Hello, Feb 26 2014
I think the  FEATHERED HEART APPLIQUE QUILT  is coming along very well. I finished the free-hand quilting, AND the Stitch in the ditch around the blocks. All that is left is the binding and the rod pocket. When there is a quilt show, it is usually required to have a 5" pocket in the back, for a way to hang the quilts. I don't think whoever wins this, will show it, so I am only going to put in a small pocket, for a thin rod, like a small wooden dowel rod.
After I hit the bottom with the Echo-stitching, I still had lots of room in the corners. Normally there would be stipple stitching in there, but my stipple stitching isn't very good. But then the Echo-stitching isn't so great either. As I go out from the center, my points and curved scallops got straighter and less loopy.
I did a small free- hand quilting practice run and told mom I was going to do that in the corners, around small hearts I was going to free-hand quilt. She said I shouldn't, Leave it be. BUT I did it any way. It came out pretty well. I only had to rip out one small part, when I messed up. That wasn't the first time, so no biggie.
So in the corners of the large big center block, I chalk marked around a small heart, stitched around it, plus 2 more times. Then I stitched off of it, and did some loops and did some heart loops. So look close at the free -hand stitching in the corners. I know, the lighting isn't very good, and the flash over exposing it.

Check out the corner where I did some hearts and heart loops.

After i took this, i finished the stitch in the ditch around each block.
I may still do a small satin stitched heart in the middle of each small heart applique, I haven't decided on that yet. Technically you are supposed to quilt to 5". This is from the old days when the batting would disintegrate, so you want stitching to keep it together, and in place.

Love ya diane

No comments:

Post a Comment